Join Kate’s VIP Club Now!
The Rose Smuggler
A fairy-tale infused historical novel for adults set in the late 18 th century, moving
between Imperial China and France during the ‘Terror’ of the French Revolution, and
inspired by the true story of a quest for a blood-red rose.
The novel will draw upon ‘The Blue Rose,’ a fairy tale set in China about a quest for
an impossible rose.
Official Biography | FAQs | Contact | Favourite Writers | Photo Gallery | Video Gallery | Talks & Workshops
I have wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. I was writing stories and poems from the time I could first hold a pencil and I wrote my first novel when I was only seven.
I think it’s because I have always loved books so much. It doesn’t matter what is happening to you in your own life – whether you are sick or sad or lonely – books are a magical gateway to other worlds and other times. For a while you walk around in someone else’s shoes, and you travel their journey of discovery with them. When you come back to your own body, in your own place and time, you have changed. You have grown. So books are a true kind of magic.
When I first began dreaming of being a writer, I imagined myself writing the sort of books I so loved to read. Books that were filled with wonder and adventure, mystery and magic. As a child, I always thought I would write for other children. As I grew into an adult, I wanted to write for who I became. So it seems very natural to me to write for all age groups. Of the 25 books I’ve written, roughly half are for children and half for adults.
I feel incredibly lucky that I can spend my days doing what I love most – daydreaming, making up stories, writing them down, reading whatever I like, whenever I like, and travelling the world telling stories and talking about my writing. I’m one of those lucky people whose dreams really have come true.
Ten Things You Couldn’t Know About Me:
- I've struggled with a stutter all my life
- My favourite colour is the blue of a summer sky
- My favourite foods are smoked salmon, lobster, caviar, my mother's pâté (and chocolate!)
- My favourite thing to drink is Dom Pérignon champagne (though I love any fine sparkling wine)
- My favourite things to do are read, write, swim in the sea, walk in the country, and travel the world with my family
- I also love working in my garden, listening to music, dancing and hearing other writers talk
- I always wear the same perfume – 'Eau de Joy' by Jean Rochas – and it's the same perfume that my mother and my grandmother always wore
- There are twins in many of my books ... maybe it's because I'm a Gemini …
- I've kept a secret diary since I as twelve years old – I have a whole shelf of them in my study
- I fell in love with my husband at first sight